Welkom op het forum van startpagina!

Dit forum staat op alleen-lezen. Je kan hier informatie zoeken en oude berichten terugvinden, maar geen nieuwe berichten plaatsen.

Naar overzicht van alle forums

Introduction: Taipei (general)

• Raymon

Hereby my introduction of Taipei the city where I lived myself. The article is written in English so more people can read it. (yes I used it somewhere alse as well but seems usefull in this forum.

TAIPEI

The city and the country, the old and the new, high culture and the downright dirty! Whatever you’re looking for Taipei has everything today’s traveller could wish for. Set in a natural basin amongst green mountains, the city is just a-stones-throw away from unspoiled beaches and wild coastline. The city itself has all the distractions a modern metropolis can offer, whilst at the same time providing a glimpse into its ancient past. If it’s the variety of choices you’re looking for then Taipei has it all!

THE CITY

If you’re looking for a taste of old Taipei, then head for the Wan Hua district. Located on the Dan Shui River, Wan Hua was an important Chinese trading post and the prosperity of the period is reflected in its ornate temples, one of which is the Lungshan temple.

Another historic part of the city is the Da Tong (Tatung) district. Amongst the winding alleys you will find European style colonial buildings standing beside intricate Chinese temples. Take a stroll down Di Hua St, which is lined with traditional shops selling all manner of potions and cure-alls!

The Shi Lin (Shihlin) district is renowned for its bustling night market, whilst Taipei’s vibrant night scene bumps and grinds until the early hours in nearby Da An (Ta An).

In the bustle of modern Taipei, Zhong Shan (Chungshan) the former commercial centre is now known for its shops, bars and cultural sights, which include the Taipei Fine Arts Museum, whilst the current hub of commercial activities, Song Shan (Sungshan) is also one of the most cosmopolitan districts and packed with foreign restaurants. Zhong Zheng (Chungcheng), the political centre, is home to municipal parks and museums, of which the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall is the most renowned.

Messages in English or Dutch are both fine.

To be continued…